Marty McFly: Wait a minute, Doc. Ah… Are you telling me that you built a time machine… out of a DeLorean?
Dr. Emmett Brown: The way I see it, if you’re gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
So we have finally arrived! We made it to the future!
I watched the Back To The Future trilogy when I was a kid, and I remember thinking ” Is this really how it will be in the future?” Thank God It’s not, right? All those bright colors, leather, and spandex in the third movie! It was like the 80’s took all the worst parts of its time and threw it up everywhere, and they called it the future. Of course, some might argue that’s exactly how trends work. (*cough* hipsters *cough*) But thats for another post.
So today, I find myself thinking about the years past. You know, people have always wondered what it will be like in the future. People will always speculate about the future. Its a part of who we are. It’s what makes us great! If no one ever thought about the future, we would never have invention, innovation, or progress. We need to look ahead, while being mindful of the past. I bet when they made Back To The Future, they wouldn’t have believed us if we, from today, had told them that in all reality, it wouldn’t be that much different. Sure, we have things like computers in the palm of our hands, WI-FI, Artificial Intelligence, vehicles that run on electricity, and even a car that drives itself! Oh, and a black president.
- We still don’t have flying cars, and probably never will! Can you imagine the awful drivers we deal with today having the ability to fly! That’s like giving an AK-47 to an angry monkey. Some ideas should never be realized.
- We still haven’t figured out how to obtain super powers. Though I’m still holding out hope for this one. If someone has a radioactive spider sitting nearby…
- A Zombie Apocalypse has yet to happen. Though, with the rise in popularity, someone will probably figure out how to make zombie like creatures before the end of this decade, just to have something to shoot. Stranger things have happened…probably.
- Jesus hasn’t returned yet. (He’s waiting on ^that guy^.)
- The world didn’t end. Everyone can finally shut the hell up about the Mayan malarky. The Adventists couldn’t figure it out, so do the world a favor and stop trying…Though I’m surprised there wasn’t more blowback on “the last day of the world”. I was excited to see at least a riot, or someone looting a Toys R Us or something! Not even a group of people with white robes on standing on a hill! Maybe we’re not as gullible as we think.)
So as we move further into the future than Marty McFly was willing to go, there are a few things we should take with us: Love, logic, common sense (which is hard for some of us), and a good healthy practice of survival tactics. Because let’s face it, A zombie outbreak is not an “if” question, but only “when”.
(ok, ok, for all you super geeks out there… Maybe the picture was photoshopped to today’s date… But I felt like writing about the movie. I saw the picture and it made me laugh. Nonetheless, hopefully you still enjoyed this blog.)